Bridges Graduate Fellowship
The Bridges Graduate Fellowship provides exceptional graduate students an opportunity to put their talents into action while pursuing their studies. Fellows join the Bridges editorial team to source and write stories to be featured in Bridges Weekly, ICTSD's flagship news digest on trade from a sustainable development perspective.
Fellowships are typically six months to one year long and involve a commitment of approximately 10 days per month spread with flexible hours. Fellows will work under the Bridges Weekly managing editor, along with collaborating with other members of ICTSD's periodicals team as required. The experience is designed to help fellows deepen their analytical capacity on real world trade policy and sustainable development issues, while learning to communicate this knowledge to a diverse audience.
· Excellent knowledge of international trade and investment-related policy processes
· Deep commitment to the principles of sustainable development
· Ability to write in English with full fluency and in a journalistic style
· Excellent time management skills and the capacity to write under deadline
· Enrollment in master’s or doctoral studies in a relevant discipline
· Previous experience as an editor or reporter in digital outlets an advantage
Responsibilities as a member of the Bridges Weekly team
· Write stories to be featured in Bridges Weekly and ICTSD blogs (including sourcing, researching, editing, fact checking, and distributing)
· Work with editor and authors defining and producing byline features.
· Participate in editorial strategies and content planning
· Participate in remote team meetings via Skype
· Assist in managing digital content on the Bridges Weekly subsite
· Develop data visualisations and infographics
· Assist in communications and social media strategies
Structure & Conditions
The paid fellowship is part-time and home-based.
Candidates must submit their application by e-mail to . Applications must include: (i) a CV; (ii) a brief introductory statement in the body of the email; and (ii) a writing sample (600 words max.) on the following topic: “Sustainable development challenges and opportunities for the multilateral trading system at the WTO Ministerial Conference in 2017.”
Candidates must submit their application no later than 10th May 2017.
ICTSD shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality. In accordance with the ICTSD Statutes, staff selection shall be on the basis of merit, equal opportunity, gender equity and geographic balance, and be without discrimination on grounds of race or creed.