European Roundtable on Climate Change and Sustainable Transition
The European Roundtable on Climate and Sustainable Transition (ERCST) falls under the umbrella of the International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development, in association with a number of other EU thinks tanks.
This initiative intends to provide a neutral space where policymakers and regulators can meet stakeholders and discuss climate change policy and a sustainable transition to a low-GHG economy. While focused on European climate policy, this initiative intends to fully recognise and incorporate in its activities and thinking the global dimension of climate change policy.
Based in Brussels, the European Roundtable on Climate and Sustainable Transition aims to provide rigorous intellectual analysis, stemming from the experience and input of its staff, as well as other research available, and the input of the stakeholders who join its activities. It will represent its own views and will strive to ensure in a very strict way its independence and integrity.
The ERCST will focus its efforts and offer a number of workstreams that operate with different formats such as Task Forces, moderated European Roundtables in Brussels and other capitals, briefings, and lunchtime meetings.
The following themes are envisaged:
- Article 6 of the Paris Agreement
- EU Emission Trading System (EU ETS)
- Developing the EU Long-Term Climate Strategy
- (Global) Carbon Markets and Carbon Pricing Mechanisms
- Governance of the EU Energy Union
- Managing a Sustainable Transition to a low-GHG economy
- Andrei Marcu, Director
- Wijnand Stoefs, Researcher
- Domien Vangenechten, Junior Associate
- Pawel Wiejski, Junior Associate
The European Roundtable on Climate and Sustainable Transition (ERCST) will be managed by Mr Andrei Marcu in Brussels, with support from the ICSTD team.
The European Roundtable on Climate and Sustainable Transition (ERCST) outputs and activities (papers, seminars, European Roundtables, etc.), are undertaken strictly under the responsibility of the ERCST and will not represent, nor are they in any way meant to represent, an endorsement by ERCST members or any stakeholders of their contents or of the statements made during discussions. All ERCST activities will be undertaken under strict Chatham House Rules.
The ERCST will have a Scientific Committee which will provide the intellectual solidity, and ensure neutrality. It will include:
- Ricardo Meléndez-Ortiz, ICTSD
- Teresa Ribera, IDDRI
- Carlo Carraro, FEEM
- Susanne Droege, SWP
- Stefan Schleicher, Wegener Center for Climate and Global Change
- Bruno Liebhaberg, CERRE
Membership in the ERCST will be open to business organizations, foundations and think tanks, associations, non-governmental organisations, Member States of the EU, non-EU governments, as well as sub-national entities.
It will include a number categories:
- Heidelberg Cement
- Air Liquide
- AFEP - The French Association of Large Companies
- BDI - German Industrial Federation
- Carbon Market Watch
- Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety, Germany
- Ministry of Environment, Energy and Sea, France
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Poland
Address: Archimedes Business Centre, 3rd floor - rue Archimède 61, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
Phone: +32 2 710 192 9