ICTSD’s work on fisheries, trade and sustainable development aims to contribute to the crafting of multilateral and regional trade rules and policies that are supportive of sustainable development in fisheries.
In recognizing the linkages between trade and ocean health, the project works to provide stakeholders, including those making and influencing policies, with the research, reporting, and analysis necessary to more effectively engage in the WTO and regional negotiations on trade rules in the fisheries sector. Our work considers the effect of subsidies to fisheries, especially those that contribute to illegal, unreported, and unregulated (IUU) fishing, overcapacity, and overfishing, and seeks to promote dialogues and initiatives that target the sustainable use of marine resources. ICTSD remains committed to enhancing the capacity of least-developed and developing countries so that their concerns and positions may be fully articulated in negotiations, such that the importance of the fisheries sector for development, livelihood and food security is adequately taken into consideration.
ICTSD’s work thus contributes directly to progress towards the goals of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, in particular SDG 2 on ending hunger, SDG 14 on the sustainable use of marine resources, and SDG 17 on the means of implementation for the SDG framework. It also contributes directly to supporting governments’ commitments under the Addis Ababa Action Agenda on Financing for Development.
Research and Analysis
- Rashid Sumaila, 2017, Small-scale Fisheries and Subsidies Disciplines: Definitions, Catches, Revenues, and Subsidies, ICTSD
- Rashid Sumaila, 2017, Shared Stocks and Fisheries Subsidies Disciplines: Definitions, Catches, and Revenues, ICTSD
- Carl-Christian Schmidt, 2017, Issues and Options for Disciplines on Subsidies to Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing, ICTSD
- Gilles Hosch, 2016, Trade Measures to Combat IUU Fishing: Comparative Analysis of Unilateral and Multilateral Approaches, ICTSD
- Ussif Rashid Sumaila, 2016, Trade Policy Options for Sustainable Oceans and Fisheries, E15Initiative. Geneva: ICTSD and World Economic Forum
- Margaret Young, 2015, Trade-Related Measures to Address Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing, E15Initiative. Geneva: ICTSD and World Economic Forum
- Frank Asche, 2015, Aquaculture: Opportunities and Challenges, E15Initiative. Geneva: ICTSD and World Economic Forum
- Alice Tipping, 2015, A ‘Clean Sheet’ Approach to Fisheries Subsidies Disciplines, E15Initiative. Geneva: ICTSD and World Economic Forum
- Liam Campling, 2015, Tariff Escalation and Preferences in International Fish Production and Trade, E15Initiative. Geneva: ICTSD and World Economic Forum
- Ussif Rashid Sumaila, Christophe Bellmann, Alice Tipping, 2014, Fishing for the Future: Trends and Issues in Global Fisheries Trade, E15Initiative. Geneva: ICTSD and World Economic Forum
- ICTSD, 2014, Fisheries, Trade and Sustainable Development: Post-2015 Development Agenda Briefing Series, ICTSD
- ICTSD, 2012, Tackling Perverse Subsidies in Agriculture, Fisheries and Energy, ICTSD
- Martin Doherty, 2010, The Importance of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures to Fisheries Negotiations in Economic Partnership Agreements, ICTSD
- ICTSD, 2010, Climate Change and Fisheries: Policy, Trade and Sustainable Development Issues, ICTSD